St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church will present plans to the zoning board on November 8 to convert a residential property at 54 Cedar Grove Road into more land for its cemetery.
The process requires a use variance as the residential zone does not have cemeteries as a permitted or conditional use. St. Joseph’s Cemetery abuts the 54 Cedar Grove property.
Attorney Harvey York is representing the church in its application, and the minor site plan for how the parcel would be used is scheduled for the November 8 meeting as well. Currently occupied, a single family home built in the 1950s is there on the 0.3 acre lot.
The Cedar Grove area neighborhood has had St. Joseph’s Cemetery as its historic neighbor since it opened in 1912. Expansions to the 34-acre site included two mausoleums: St. Joseph’s Chapel in 1986 and the Risen Christ Chapel in 2001.
Though it has its main gate on Cedar Grove and an additional entrance on Edken/Hooper, the address of the cemetery is 62 Cedar Grove Road.
The public hearing on the application is on the agenda for the November 8 zoning board meeting in town hall, 33 Washington Street, beginning at 6:30 p.m.